The chapel of Bouël,
a place not to be missed !
During your summer vacations in Ambon, do not miss the opportunity to visit the chapel ofBrouël. Its interest is both historical and touristic. Here is what you need to know.
Because of its history and the originality of its building, it can serve as a tourist attraction. Do not hesitate to visit it !
The architecture : its main asset
The chapel ofBrouël has a beautiful granite facade. It became a parish grouping together the hamlets of Brouëland Billion from the revolution until today. The chapel was dedicated to Notre Dame de Bon Secours. It has two powerful buttresses containing two twin doors in basket handle. This door is surmounted by an extraordinary gothic arch and enguirlanded by hooks.
The interior of the chapel presents some especially remarkable statues that are linked to the village of Brouël. These are the statue of the Virgin Mary from the 16th century and the statue of St. Isidore. The latter is the oldest in the chapel and represents the patron saint of ploughmen and farmers. The two stained glass windows next to the chapel represent respectively the billion (the earth) and the Brouël (the sea). The Chapel of the Thousand Helpers is the most noble seigniory of Brouël.
The history of the chapel of thousand helps of Brouël
The chapel of the thousand helps was built in the XVI century in the 1580’s. It is located on a dominant hillock between the salt marshes and the old sand port. Its western façade was classified as a historical monument on May 14, 1925. A cross was built next to the chapel in 1989.
This cross is composed of an ornate base, a white marble plaque and a Eucharist of unknown origin. The stained glass windows were made by Jihel Bay in Bethaton Village in 1983. They point to the events marking the founding of the chapel. In 1640, a dwelling adjacent to the gable was built to house the chaplain.